General Norman Schwarzkopf passed away on December 27, 2012 at age 78. He is remembered as the commanding officer of both Desert Shield and Desert Storm operations in the Middle East. He was a West Point graduate, a Viet Nam commander, received numerous medals for valor in combat, and rose to the highest levels in the U.S. Army.
After retiring from the military, General Schwarzkopf donated his time to many charities and sat on several boards-of-directors of corporations. Throughout his life, he demonstrated shrewd leadership and strategy applicable to combat and business. Below are ten of his notable quotes, most of which can easily apply to a business environment.
10) “Do what is right, not what you think the high headquarters wants or what you think will make you look good.”
9) “You learn far more from negative leadership than positive leadership. Because you learn how not to do it.”
8) “War is a profane thing.”
7) “The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.”
6) “True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow, that’s what courage is.”
5) “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.”
4) “When placed in command, take charge.”
3) “The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in battle.”
2) “Any soldier worth his salt should be antiwar; and still there are things worth fighting for.”
1) “Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.”
Dion D. Shaw
Dion D. Shaw is the founder and owner of Homepreneurs
Homepreneurs. New Day. New Opportunity.
Image source: http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/Assets/1991/Army/DA-SC-91-04130.JPEG This is a US government photo and in the public domain