Mark Coker – founder and owner of SmashWords – released a survey covering many topics about eBooks. The survey, titled New SmashWords Survey Helps Authors Sell more eBooks, is very comprehensive and contains information the indie publisher can use right away. Thanks to Mark for providing us this information!
If interested in publishing eBooks, either on SmashWords or on Kindle, click either of the links for how-to instructions. eBooks are a great source of additional income – once written and published, they continue to earn royalties for years. eBooks are truly the ultimate home business – I never left home to publish any of mine.
The questions included:
- Do frequent price changes help authors sell more books?
- Do longer or shorter book titles sell more books?
- Do longer or shorter book descriptions sell more books?
- How do sales develop over time at a retailer, and what factors might spark a breakout?
- Do longer or shorter books sell better?
- What’s the average word count for the 60 bestselling Smashwords romance books?
- What does the sales distribution curve look like, and how many books sell well?
- How many words are the bestselling authors selling for a penny?
- What are the most common price points for indie ebooks, and what changed since last year?
- How many more downloads do FREE ebooks get compared to priced ebooks?
- How have Smashwords sales grown at the Apple iBookstore in three years?
- How does price impact unit sales volume?
- What price points yield the greatest overall earnings for authors and publishers?
- What does the Yield Graph portend for the future of publishing
By Dion D. Shaw
Dion D. Shaw is the founder and owner of Homepreneurs
Homepreneurs. New Day. New Opportunity.
Homepreneurs does not endorse nor have any relationships with any of the services listed. Homepreneurs receives no compensation or consideration for its suggestions or recommendations. Homepreneurs strongly urges all interested parties to conduct research and accepts no responsibility for any losses incurred.
© Homepreneurs 2010 – 2013, All Rights Reserved
SmashWords and Kindle are trademark names with all rights reserved.