Are you a pet owner? Do you like animals and want to help them live healthy and happy lives? If so, Homepreneurs has another wonderful success story to share: healthpetslive.com. We had a chance to sit down with Marie W. and talk to her about a business – healthy pet products and expert advice – she started after retiring from corporate life. Marie’s enthusiastic attitude and passion for her work shines through our brief conversation. It was a real pleasure to meet Marie and learn more about her successful home and online business. Kudos to you, Marie! We should all be as blessed to find our true calling.
– HP: Why did you start your own business?
– MW: For years I have done volunteer work for SPCA and animal rescue groups – my passion from childhood. After retiring after 40 some years in the corporate world, I wanted to help pets, their owners, and pet professional in a different way. That is when I decided to help educate pet owners on healthy products for their pets.
– HP: When did your business start?
– MW: I have been in business since 2007
– HP: What industry is your business in?
– MW: Holistic pet products which includes food, treats, supplements, grooming products and pet safe cleaning products. We also have our own Non-Profit Foundation to help unwanted animals and animal rescue groups.
– HP: What are the greatest challenges you face?
– MW: Educating the public on how important it is to keep your pets healthy from the inside out not just outside in. So your pet can live a long, healthier and happier life and cut down on cost and veterinary expense.
– HP: What advantages does self-employment provide?
– MW: Self-employment gives you the freedom to do what you want to do and be able to enjoy it. In my case it gave me the freedom to do more things with my husband, children and grandchildren and still be able to do my passion which is to help pets and there owners.
– HP: Do you have any tips/suggestions for those considering entrepreneurship?
– MW: Think about something that you have a passion for, love doing, and have a drive and a skill you are very good at or an idea. Always think outside of the box and never, never give up. You are always going to have people telling you not to do it but don’t listen to them. Surround yourself with people who think and believe like you. You can always find self-help information or a mentor to help. Just remember to think long-term, not for the short run; it takes time to get idea out there and working.
– HP: Do you use social media at all (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)?
– MW: I use Facebook and LinkedIn. I like LinkedIn because they have groups that you can join that like what you like and are very helpful. LinkedIn is very easy to use.
– HP: Where do you get your clients? Word of mouth, networking, social media, advertising?
– MW: I use everything: Word of mouth, networking, social media, free online advertising or sometimes paid, post cards, flyers and car magnets. I keep an open mind so I try different ways to see what works best.
– HP: If you could change one thing when you started, what would that be?
– MW: Be knowledgeable about what you do and always remember that Customers Always Come First. Customer Service is very, very important.
– HP: What are the rewards of self-employment?
– MW: Freedom (being able to work full time or part time), self-satisfaction (being able to help people and their pets), having more control over my future and my income.
– HP: What sources do you use to fill in your knowledge gaps? Why?
– MW: I read a lot, try different things and speak with business owners, pet professionals and pet owners. You can never have too much knowledge; there is always something new that you can use or try that will help. Always remember NEVER give up or quit.
Thank you, Marie for sitting down with us today and sharing your experiences and wonderful product line. We wish you the very best of success in your future business endeavors!
– By Dion D Shaw
Dion D Shaw is the founder and owner of Homepreneurs
Homepreneurs. New Day. New Opportunity.
© Homepreneurs 2010 – 2012